Privacy care package
For someone who has never considered privacy issues before, figuring out where to start can be a daunting task. This page is intended to offer information about the privacy issues confronting the criminal justice systems increased collection, analysis, and dissemination of electronic information. Documents identified below range from law review articles, to government reports, to news articles. These documents reflect a variety of view points and are intended to provide a well-rounded introduction to the privacy issues agencies might be asked to discuss and ultimately resolve.
- Paul F. Kendall et al., Gathering, Analysis, and Sharing of Criminal Justice Information by Justice Agencies: The Need for Principles of Responsible Use, 21st Annual International Conference on Data Protection and Information Privacy, Hong Kong 7-8 (Sept. 1999).
- Daniel J. Solove, Access and Aggregation: Public Records, Privacy and the Constitution, 86 MINN. L. REV. 1137 (2002).
- Daniel J. Solove, A Taxonomy of Privacy, 154 U. PA. L. REV 477 (2006).
- U.S. Dept of Defense, Technology and Privacy Advisory Committee, Safeguarding Privacy in the Fight Against Terrorism (March 2004). [Executive Summary]
- U.S. Dept of Justice, Bureau of Justice Statistics, Public Attitudes Toward Uses of Criminal History Information, NCJ 187663 (2001).
- U.S. Gen. Accounting Office, Privacy Act: OMB Leadership Needed to Improve Agency Compliance, Report No. GAO-03-304 (June 2003).
- U.S. Dept of Health, Educ., & Welfare, Records, Computers and the Rights of Citizens: Report of the Secretarys Advisory Committee on Automated Personal Data Systems (1973).
- Ramos v. City of Peru, 333 Ill.App.3d 75, 775 N.E.2d 184 (3d Dist. 2002).
- U.S. Dept. of Justice v. Reporters Committee, 489 U.S. 749 (1989).
- Jay Stanley, American Civil Liberties Union, The Surveillance-Industrial Complex: How the American Government is Conscripting Businesses and Individuals in the Construction of a Surveillance Society (Aug. 2004).
- Electronic Privacy Information Center: Privacy and Public Records
- Ill. Integrated Just. Info. Sys., Lessons to be learned from MATRIX (2005).